Wednesday, August 24, 2016

It Takes a Village... Thank You "Church Moms"!

We’ve all heard it said that "It takes a village to raise a child".  I was blessed with growing up in a rural community that did just that.  Oh sure, our parents were the ones in charge of feeding us, making sure we had clean clothes to wear, a roof over our heads, and all the necessities of life, and most of all, loving us beyond any real definition of “love” could be... but it was what I call the "nourishment of the soul" that the community was a large part of. 

There were all sorts of people in the community... some more kin to us than others.   There were Mom's parents, Grandmother and Granddaddy, just across the field from us, and her two brothers and their families.  There were second and third cousins all over the place.  Shoot, you couldn't throw a rock without hitting a cousin back in those days... everybody was kin to everybody else.  Still are, for the most part, but there are lots of folks that have moved in around these parts that didn't grow up here, so it's not quite so full of only kin folk anymore. 

And then there was the heart of the community, the one place that everyone gathered at least once a week... a place that acted as community center and religious center... our church, and all her people.  It was the members of the church that were our "other family".  Granted, most were kin folk anyway, but they were all family, no matter the blood line.  All the mothers, grandmothers and aunts of the church mothered all the children of the church.  At some point or another, each one was a Sunday School teacher, Bible School teacher, or Youth Fellowship leader, and had some part in helping us learn how to treat other people, what was right from wrong, and how to turn the other cheek, and abide by The Golden Rule.  Every father, grandfather, and uncle has some part in the goings on around there, and showed us the right way for a grown man to behave, helped and guided us as the need arose, and showed us what dependability and responsibility was all about and why it was important for everyone to hold up their end of the deal. 

Ours was (and continues to be) a loving church community.  There are ladies in the church that I go up to each Sunday and give a hug and call them one of my "Church Moms".  They were special to me growing up.  When I look back at my life as a child, I see them as part of it, and understand why that, of all memories, stuck.  Whether they knew they were teaching me or not, they helped me become the woman I am today.  They helped to give me the firm foundation that became the bedrock I so depended upon as I walked the rocky road called Life.  And now that I'm living back home again, it's time I loved on them some, letting them know how very special they were (and are) to me.

I think none of us truly realize how many lives we touch during our lifetimes, nor the importance we play in those lives.  If we knew, if we had any idea, we would truly be overwhelmed with love and gratitude at having had the opportunity to make a difference.  That’s why it’s so important to take the time now and then tell someone that made a difference in YOUR life... thank them for what they did for you, explain why it made a difference.  It may seem to them as if it was nothing really, but to you, it meant the world. 


"To the world you may be just one person, but to one person, you may be the world."
~ Dr. Seuss ~




No comments:

Post a Comment